This is an excellent qualification for anyone new to massage and wanting to progress later to sports massage. This comprehensive course of study provides you with the additional A&PP qualification required in all professional bodywork modalities.
You will be exposed to a diverse range of learning experiences which are carefully designed to promote your hands on skills and professional and personal development. You will learn the essential components to get you started in your massage career. MTI trained practitioners are highly regarded for the quality of their treatments, their breadth of knowledge and their excellence in client care.
Who can enrol on this course?
- There are no formal prerequisites for entry to the Professional Training Course.
- The course is open to men and women and a minimum age of 18 years.
- Students are considered on their personal interest in the subject, and who expresses enthusiasm and genuine commitment to the learning process
- They need to have the sensitivity in order to work closely with people and willingness to be open to personal development whilst training and beyond.
Previous massage experience is not essential, though we highly recommend attending one of our Taster Days before enrolling so you feel ready to commit to the 9 month course.
The training course takes place over 11 weekends. This usually enables students with a full time job to manage the course requirements. That said, please be aware there is a good deal to learn and you will be required to commit to homework and written coursework in between our training sessions. Putting the energy into it and the time aside will need to be considered.
Class sizes are kept to a maximum of 10 to allow for high quality tuition and support
Normally the first part of the day commences with theory and afternoons taken up with the hands on massage practice. Students pair up and practice on each other, and other times they’ll be models from outside the course as well.
What is covered on the diploma course?
The following list shows a basic outline of the main elements of the course. If you wish to see the full syllabus, then go to the Massage Training Institute website: www.massagetraining.co.uk
- Full body – including basic face and foot acupressure
- Classic massage techniques including effleurage, petrissage, percussive strokes, vibration, passive joint manipulation, an introduction to Neuro-Muscular Techniques, trigger points and deep tissue massage to help remediate some common musculo-skeletal issues
- Palpation skills and assessing your clients
- Massage theory – e.g physiological and psychological effects, why use specific techniques and the benefits and the contraindications of massage
- History of massage and massage today
- Communication skills for the professional therapist
- Taking case histories and treatment planning and giving aftercare advice
- Clinic sessions: experience working with 'real' clients
- Client care and hygiene
- Professionalism and ethics
- Posture, movement, breath work
- Awareness of the human energy field, holism and mind, body, spirit links
- Stress management which includes a range of relaxation and mindfulness meditation exercises
- Self Care for the Therapist
- Setting up a massage practice: starting out, marketing/promoting yourself, financial and legal aspects of business
- Structure and functions all the systems of the body: skeletal, muscular, integumentary, nervous, endocrine, cardiovascular, immune, respiratory, digestion, urinary and reproductive
- Pathologies and their relevance to massage
- Guest Speakers such as osteopathy, cranio-sacral therapy, Tai Chi and acupuncture and when to refer on to other health professionals
Coursework & Examinations
Students will be required to keep a Journal of 50 hours of massage practice (this includes 10 hours of massage received) throughout the course. Case Studies need to massage on a range of client groups of varying ages, genders, ethnicity and health conditions if possible. In addition a journal of monthly personal development entries will be necessary and a few small research tasks to complete.
Students can expect to do home study approx 6-8 hours per week for study whilst the course is in progress.
The internal assessment requirements are:
- Full body massage
- Reflective Practice Journal
- Diary of 50 hours logged massage sessions
- 45 min practical assessment
- 3 hour written Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology examination
On successful completion of our Professional Training Course you will gain the Holistic Massage Diploma with Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology from the Massage Training Institute (MTI)
The MTI is a member of the General Council for Massage Therapy, the national lead body for holistic massage in the UK.
NEXT START DATES
May 11/12/13th 2018
September 8/9th - 2018/19
Please email for the full list of dates
Why not come to one of our Taster Workshops to see if this is the right career path before signing up. Alternatively come along and learn some simple and yet effective massage skills to use on family members.
Next Taster Workshops 2018
Saturday 14th April
Cost £50 Time: 10-1pm
36 Hart St
Henley RG9 2AU
Diploma Tuition Fee: £1,850
Exam fee: £130 (payable 3 few weeks before exams)
Please contact us if you need to discuss payment options
What They Have to Say
"The course has given me so much more than massage training. It has given me a whole new approach to life through the benefits of holistic therapies" - J. Gonzales
"Inspiring and fun. I enjoyed each single training weekend. In one word: excellent" - R. Blinov
"Tonic Massage training has been terrific. Celine's passion and enthusiasm for the subject are obvious and she's a great communicator and tutor. I found the structure of the course and pace of development just right and feel that I'm well equipped to start my practice" - A. East